dimanche 3 avril 2011

How art gives shape to cultural change

I want to comment the picture at 10:22 of the Thelma Golden's talks.
It is a sculpture representing a white men clotted like a confederate soldier during the American Civil War,
who rides a creature with a head of an african woman. the creature is holding a head but i don't really
understand what that represents.
I find this sculpture hideous. I think this is the aim of the sculptor: to show how slavery is horrible.
It shows the behaviours of the white mens during this period.
The soldier is unhurriedly smoking his pipe and shows us a superior expression.
On the contrary, the creature seems to be completely submissive and it bows.
This sculpture is not beautiful, but it denounces the injustices of slavery and it is because it strikes
us that it is effective.


According to Thelma Golden, images enable people to wonder about taboo subjects or contentious subjects.
Thanx to images, we can initiate dialogues on those diffucult subjects. Images are not understood in the same
way by everyone. It is by sharing what images make us feel that we can open the dialogue and do constructive dialogue. So images enable to introduce sensitive subject and make people converse.

Museums are the place where those dialogue can take place. By gathering images together, it raises questions and it makes people share it opinion. As Thelma Golden says, it is a "think tank", where experts or no matter who can be expressed.

I agree with this point of view. I really think that art can make things change. It abbles to kindle our curiosity
about subject that we are not necessarily aware. A work can be more efficient and more striking than talk. It can touch  people and it makes them think. It is so efficient that Art was used during the World War for propaganda of the Nazi and the red.














Art can be understood by an audience larger than a written because it doesn't require to be capable of reading.
I think art is a really powerfull means of making things change, but it can be dangerous if ill-intentioned people use it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire